Matthew Azus began his legal career with Lerner, Arnold & Winston (LAW) as a law clerk in 2008 before joining the firm as an Associate Attorney in 2010. He concentrates his practice in first-party and third-party property damage matters.
As the son and grandson of public adjusters, insurance and property damage are in Matthew’s blood. He works diligently to achieve impressive results for his clients, working closely with them in preparing their claims throughout the discovery process and for trial. Since joining the firm, he has been an integral member in resolving many cases, including numerous clients impacted by catastrophes such as Super Storm Sandy.
Matthew has researched and written numerous motions, pleadings, appellate briefs and other legal documents in the New York State and Federal court systems. He has taken many depositions regarding various types of property damage cases. Matthew’s trial experience includes successfully trying property damage matters to verdict. He has also utilized his mediation and negotiation expertise to obtain successful settlements on behalf of his clients.
During law school, Matthew interned at the St. John’s Elder Law Clinic where he provided legal representation to senior citizens who had become victims of fraud. He was also a member of the New York International Law Review.
He graduated with honors from the University of Michigan in 2007 and is an avid supporter and fan of the Wolverines.
Matthew lives on Long Island with his wife, Ally, and their daughter.
- St. John’s University School of Law; Queens, New York; Juris Doctor, 2010
- University of Michigan; Ann Arbor, Michigan; B.A., Economics, United States History (minor), 2007
- State Bar
- New York, 2011
- New Jersey, 2010
- United States District Court
- Eastern District of New York, 2012
- Southern District of New York, 2011
- First-Party Property Damage Claims
- Third-Party Property Damage Claims
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association (NYSTLA)
- Bronx-Manhattan North Association of Realtors (BMAR)
National Association of Public Insurance Adjusters (NAPIA)
Caring Kind Golf Committee Co-Chair