James M. O’Connor is a Senior Associate at Lerner, Arnold & Winston (LAW) focusing on personal injury, property damage matters, and related insurance coverage issues. No stranger to the courthouse, James has participated in over a thousand depositions, hundreds of arbitrations/mediations, and has tried cases in every county from the Bronx to Suffolk. He is an experienced appellate attorney and has prosecuted numerous appeals and argued before the New York State Appellate Divisions and United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
James works diligently with strict attention to detail during pre-trial preparation of pleadings, document discovery, depositions, and motion practice and settlement negotiations. At trial, his prior preparation allows the firm’s clients to put their best case before the jury. James’ pretrial preparation was instrumental in recently securing a $1.5 million settlement in a matter against the City of New York.
Ever the consummate educator, James shares his vast knowledge by regularly providing lectures on the law of negligence, insurance and litigation strategy to local business leaders and is an annual guest lecturer at Columbia University for students interested in studying the law.
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy; Diploma, Trial Advocacy Skills, 2000
- St. John’s University School of Law; Queens, New York; Juris Doctor, 1999
- CUNY, Bernard M. Baruch College; New York, New York; B.B.A. Finance, 1990
- New York State Bar, 2000
- Federal Courts of the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York, 2006
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 2007
- United States Supreme Court, 2013
- Personal Injury
- Property Damage
- Insurance Coverage
St. John’s Alumni Association; Volunteer Judge
New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- General Tort and Practice Committee
- Automobile and No-Fault Litigation Committee
- Municipal and Transit Committee
New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers
New York State Bar Association
Columbia University Lecturer